Friday, September 2, 2011

NICU- Days 14 and 15

My babies are 2 weeks  old!

Jack did so good Thursday and took all of 5 bottles! Sadly he lost momentum and went back to only one ounce or none. Of course if I has someone putting alcohol on my belly button and poking at it while I was trying to eat I wouldn't eat either! I told him that I was joking when I said not to get in a hurry so he wouldn't get out too much earlier than Abby but he seems to think I meant it! My baby boy is 2 weeks old and a whopping 5lbs!!! Now just to get him to eat. 46ml all nippled for 16 feedings seems like a lot :-( Especially after he does that he can eat whatever he feels like as long as he is still eating a certain amount a day.

Abby had her first bottle on Thursday and sucked those 9ml down! It did knock her out and she slept for about 6 hours straight (through 2 feedings) They will not try her on one again until she hits about 1500 grams to keep her from wasting so much energy. She has also staled at 2lb 13oz though she does gain 5 or 10 grams here or there. She was 1280g tonight and I can't wait for her to hit 3lbs. Her food is being increased by 1ml every feeding so I am hopeful that she will reach her max feeding of 25ml no later than early Sunday morning.

We had a nice visit with Chris's parents and are looking forward to mine being here this weekend. Today was also the bm birthday and she wanted to visit and take a picture. Since it was the only thing she has asked and it was her birthday we said okay. I was nervous (though she can't change her mind) but the visit was very pleasant.

We did get some encouraging news from the Doctor (and head of the NICU). She is willing to let Abby go home at 1600g (about 3.5lbs) IF she can maintain her weight in a crib and taking a bottle. They will try her in the crib probably Thursday (1 week). We discussed that maybe if she was at the same point Jack is now feeding her through her tube (not uncommon to send some babies home like that). If she picks back up on her weight gain that could be just 2 more weeks. As long as there are no set backs I could have both of my babies home by the end of the month if not earlier!! Her BUN is at 11 and she is looking perfect!

Thank you for all the prayers!



No comments:

Post a Comment